Saturday, January 15, 2011

On Biblical Square Dancing, Reasons for.

I have to confess something.
Everyone's seen The Shawshank Redemption, yes?
So you know the bit near the end, where Andy (played by Tim Robbins) has broken out and crawled through the sewage, he gets out and it starts raining and he stands and revels in the cleansing downpour?
The glorious moment of renewal, of rebirth, of triumph over adversity?
Yeah, that's what I always thought honest worship should be like. And I use worship in the correct sense: A life that pleases God. Moments, actions, thoughts, and deeds that help bring the Kingdom closer to earth. No, not the "musical style". Don't get me started on that.
But I have always worshipped best through music. It's something that I feel called to, something that I'm good at, something that I know glorifies God and He delights in.
So imagine my surprise when I'm drifting to sleep in the van on the way home this morning and I have an epiphany. It goes like this:
Worship isn't about us. We don't get renewed, or rebirthed, we don't triumph over adversity, we aren't cleansed. Not always, at least.
Worship is about God (duh!). What I mean is this: yeah, it's nice when we have those amazing moments, seeing the Father come closer to us, knowing (feeling) that we've pleased Him. But our main focus of worship should be to delight the Father.
The image in my head for this, and the description I'll use: Worship is whatever we do that makes Jesus do-see-do with God in heaven.
I'm not kidding. That's the image that came to mind. Jesus (sandy brown hair, nicely kept beard, gold sash) and God (white hair, long white beard, jovial look in His eyes) dancing on a cloud. Swinging their partner round and round. (no, I was not listening to bluegrass at the time).
Blasphemous? Maybe. But I work visually, so it helps.
Next time I stand on stage for church, my goal won't be to enter into some cleansing rain, to be renewed, to be absolved. My goal will be to make Jesus dance with joy.

1 comment: