Sunday, January 2, 2011

On Life Plans, altering them.

Today's sermon at ACL was on Luke 18:18-30. The rich young ruler asks Jesus what he must do to achieve Eternal Life. Here, I'll let you read it.

18 Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”
   19 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good. 20 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.’”
   21 The man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”
   22 When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
   23 But when the man heard this he became very sad, for he was very rich.
   24 When Jesus saw this, he said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God! 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
   26 Those who heard this said, “Then who in the world can be saved?”
   27 He replied, “What is impossible for people is possible with God.”
   28 Peter said, “We’ve left our homes to follow you.”
   29 “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the Kingdom of God, 30 will be repaid many times over in this life, and will have eternal life in the world to come.”

So there you have it. Jesus says, and I quote, "Rich people suck. Poor people rule." The End.
Wait, no, He didn't say that. Not even close. But before I elaborate on that point, I'd like to first direct you to my favourite part of this story, which we see in Mark 10:21.

   21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”


See what happened there? Jesus, upon hearing the young man say that he's kept all the commandments, loved him. Why? Maybe the young man honestly yearned for the Kingdom. Maybe the young man almost got it, and Jesus got excited by that idea. (Yeah, we can take the easy route and say, "Jesus loves everyone!", but this isn't Sunday School, so I'm not accepting that answer) It's interesting to me that Jesus shuts down so many lines of questioning from the Pharisees and the Jews, but this young man He takes the time to answer. 


Now, onto my point. Or rather, a couple points.
First, when I read this passage, I freak out. Jesus hates wealth?! Well crap! There go all my hopes and dreams of one day owning a nice house and a nice car and a nice dog and a nice picket fence and a nice.... blah blah blah.
Jesus doesn't hate money! Jesus just doesn't love it, and He doesn't want us to love it either. Jesus paid the temple tax (Matt 17:24-27), He gave to Caesar what was Caesar's, He's okay with money. But He never had any, which is interesting. Neither do I. Does that make me a little more Christ-like than those with cash? I highly doubt it. But that's not the point.


As was pointed out this morning, when Jesus asked this young man to sell all his stuff, what did He then want the man to do with it? Give it to the poor. He wanted this young man to take what he had and invest it into the Kingdom. And this is my point.


When Zacchaeus and Jesus had lunch, Zacch (as I'll refer to him henceforth) promised to pay back everyone he overcharged and to give half of his wealth to the poor. That was good enough for Jesus. But did you notice what Jesus didn't ask him to do? Give up being a tax collector. Jesus didn't ask him to just walk away from everything he knew, He simply asked him to do what he does unto the Lord. To invest in the Kingdom, with what he has.


Adam was a farmer by trade. He farmed in the Garden. So when he got kicked out, what did he do? He farmed some more! Moses was a shepherd, so when God called him to lead Isreal out of Egypt, what did he do? He shepherded! They invested into the Kingdom what they had!


I think the scariest thought I've had in a long time was that God would ask me to completely give up my musical talent and ambition to become a "normal person". I don't know how to be normal, and I don't know how to live without being a musician. So thankfully, the idea I get is that He would never call me to just lay it down and walk away, but instead to take it up from a different angle, a different perspective, for a different purpose. I don't think He wants me to deny such a huge part of my life. Instead, I think He wants to see more balance. That's still a scary thought for me, though.


I don't believe in a God who wastes anything. I believe He uses everything: experiences, materials, debts and surpluses, strengths and weaknesses, even bad ideas and mistakes. And He does this by asking us to invest into His Kingdom everything we have. Yes, He may ask some of us to give up a job every now and then, or to take a paycut, or give a lot away, but how many of us feel that what He's asking of us encompasses who we are just a little too much? How many felt that the job He led us away from was the epitome of who we are? Or that the amount we lost due to a paycut defined us as human beings? So I, being a bass player, know that with gigs lost and money lost, that He is still going to take care of me. He just wants me to invest a little more into His Kingdom.


For the record, the only thing God ever asks us to lay down and never touch again is our sin. And that's the part of me that's freaking out. But I know it'll be okay. It just won't look quite like what I had pictured in my head. 




Sidenote: I love Peter and his ability to state the obvious, almost in a such a way as to try and gain brownie points. He had foot-in-mouth disease, and therefore makes a great role model. Everytime you feel like an idiot for something you said or did in the name of God, think of Pete. If he doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will.

4 comments:

  1. well said Trev, I wrestled with giving up music to be "normal" too, and being away from it for 4+ months or so, I began to realize that was who I was and who God made me into.... a musician. And to give that up, it wasn't going to make me a better Christian, it was to balance the effect of playing music for "myself" or music for "God". Worship vs. entertainment (not to be confused with Worship AS Entertainment). I like how you sarcastically put that you didn't have money, and does that make you more like Christ? I've often thought that myself, and have been content with the fact that I will never be a "rich" man monetarily that is. I have bee "rich" in family, friends, and love... why is money such a big deal, when all the wealth I need I already have. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I value your input and extend compliments to the eloquence of your writing. I indeed have "foot-in-mouth" disease, so I cannot write as such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is always good, all the time. It's hard to remember that when He's challenging you to grow and bloom into what He made you for, but that's kind of where faith and trust come in. I used to joke that a dear friend would bitch-slap me with Romans 8:28 when I dwell on all my faults and negatives and not-Godly ways. He finds a way to use EVERYTHING for good, in His time, even if it makes no sense in the moment.

    I'm a fan of Peter, too. He was dense, he was a bit of a show-off, he had lots of flaws and weaknesses...just like us. And Jesus loved him to the point where He trusted this kind of messed-up person to be the rock on which His church was built. (A religion teacher once told me that in historical context, Jesus was really calling Peter a blockhead, so that verse always makes me chuckle.)

    God made you a musician for a reason. Music has power, and the ability to touch hearts. You spread His love and His message, and some of us are here for no reason other than we got to know about you BECAUSE of your music. He finds a way to use that for good, even if you and I can't see it in the moment. And He also blessed you with being very good with words, and that's touching hearts, too. Be yourself, and He'll find ways to use you for His glory and for good. <3 Besides, being normal is overrated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog! I enjoy reading your stuff thoroughly. It reminds me that I need to be thinking more of God's purpose and less of my own. Often God leads us in directions we do not understand, but with such linear minds we can't possibly see His plan. But God also formed us, before nurture or nature formed us, and He made me as I am and you as you are for a reason. Thanks for the reminder that serving God doesn't have to go against who we are as a person. I especially liked your line at the end--"...the only thing God ever asks us to lay down and never touch again is our sin." Very nice.

    And...I resent the implication that people who are not musicians are automatically normal. I am by no means normal, and very happy with that fact :) So hmph.

    ReplyDelete