Saturday, January 29, 2011

On Money, A Fool And His.

I'm not sure what to do with this entry. (not a strong opening statement, I know. just go with it) So much has happened this past week, though most of it not physical. God's been kicking my ass for a while now in so many areas, and it's hard to narrow it down and pick on subject because they all seem related.
I was going to post on money matters and why being poor isn't a bad thing. I was going to reference Proverbs 30:7-9, my favourite practical prayer. In fact, I think I will:
“Two things I ask of you, LORD; 
   do not refuse me before I die: 
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
   give me neither poverty nor riches, 
   but give me only my daily bread. 
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you 
   and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ 
Or I may become poor and steal, 
   and so dishonor the name of my God."

How much more practical does it get? This gets to an issue I have right now trusting God to provide. It's humbling, that's for sure, knowing there's little to nothing I can do to make ends meet. And then when God does show up at the last second, all I can do is stand in silence. I don't deserve such help or provision, but I get it. As soon as anyone out there understands that connection, let me know!
It's never a lot of money, y'know, but it's always just what I need, which makes sense in light of that proverb, and fits in well with God's character.
When the Isrealites were wandering the desert and God gave them manna, He only gave them enough to make it through the day. It's the idea of cultivating a dependency on Him and His provision. When Jesus told Pete to go fishing and collect the coin out of the fish's mouth for the temple tax, it was only enough to pay for Jesus and Pete. No more, no less. 
It's downright magical sometimes how it works. Several years ago I was offered the chance to go to Ukraine on a mission trip and I felt very called to go. Problem was, I didn't have the $1500 for it. And I only had a month to come up with it. That didn't go very well at all, I'll say that. But literally one week before we left the money showed up. A little from the church I was attending at the time, a little worked into the budget of the missions organization with whom I was going, and I have no clue where the rest came from. I'm okay with not knowing. The knowing doesn't matter. It's the gratitude with which it's received that does.
That trip did a great many things for me. It changed my life. It got me out of a very messed up relationship that was killing me. It reminded me of my love of serving others. 
As I write this now I'm still without job, gigs are few and far between, I'm $100 short on rent, my car is out of gas, I have nothing to eat but peanut butter and jelly, etc. etc. etc. 
Am I worried? Oh hell yes!! But I know that it'll be okay. I don't know how, or when, but that's faith, right?
I do my part, I work hard when I've got the work, I'm faithful to tithe and serve and obey, and God does what He does, which is mostly saving my dumbass from myself.


Look at that. I think that covers the money situation pretty well.
Let's all pray that I swallow my pride long enough to write about sin next time. I promise, that one will hurt a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment